1. New England Patriots (4-0) - The Patriots are 4-0 and are currently in first place in the AFC East. While it is no surprise to see the Pats out in front to start the season it is somewhat of a surprise to see them at 4-0 without any of their top weapons from a year ago. I still think they will finish around 11-5 though even with the return of Gronk looming.
2. Miami Dolphins (3-1) - The Dolphins have been one of the biggest surprises throughout the first quarter of the season. Their defense is playing very well as is QB Ryan Tannehill, although they haven't really been tested thus far. Their one defeat is at the hands of a much better Saints team. Despite their hot start I think they are more pretender than contender and I still think they will finish around 7-9 and at best 8-8.
3. New York Jets (2-2) - Currently the Jets are in third via a tiebreaker with Buffalo and they seem poised to win more than my predicted four games. However, I still don't believe in Geno Smith and that offense. Their defense has been playing well but not great and I don't think this team has what it takes to win more than 6 games even though they are on pace for 8-8.
4. Buffalo Bills (2-2) - The Bills are currently cellar dwelling in the East but I don't think they will stay there. Manuel has had flashes of greatness at times already and I still think they might have the second best QB in this division. I still have them finishing 6-10 or at best 7-9.
1. Baltimore Ravens (2-2) - This is probably the muddiest division in football but the Ravens are currently the top dog via a three way tiebreaker. The Ravens are not playing at the same level that won them the Super Bowl last year and if Flacco's last game is any indication they will be hard pressed to win this division again. i stand by them finishing second at 9-7.
2. Cleveland Browns (2-2) - Let me start by eating my words on this one. I figured the Trent trade was the Browns waving the white flag but it seems to have galvanized this team and they are 2-0 since. I am utterly stunned at this team right now but I still don't think they are the real deal. Obviously I will revise my prediction of 2-14 because I don't see them losing every game from here on out. I think they will finish 6-10 in a tie for third with to be mentioned later Pittsburgh.
3. Cincinnati Bengals (2-2) - The Bengals will still win this division and they will still go 10-6. This team has so many weapons on offense and they have a good defense as well. They will right the ship after a stunning loss to Cleveland.
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (0-4) - This team is playing at an utterly abysmal level right now. They couldn't beat a pop Warner team right now. Ben is not playing well. The defense is no longer feared and for good reason. They have NO running game at all. They have no receivers. This team will turn it around and finish the season 6-6 for a final record of 6-10 and tie the Browns for third. Tough year in the steel city for these guys.
1. Indianapolis Colts (3-1) - No surprise here that the Colts are running this division. I fully expected this team to be even better than last year and thus far they have not disappointed. With the addition of Trent Richardson, I fully believe this team will win this division and go 12-4.
2. Tennessee Titans (3-1) - The Titans have exceeded expectations so far this year but I think they are more of a pretender. They are a solid 3-1 but I don't see them staying ahead of the Texans for long especially without Jake Locker. I have them finishing 7-9 still and 8-8 at best. Either way I think they will finish third in the division and miss the playoffs.
3. Houston Texans (2-2) - The Texans have under-achieved thus far and the city of Houston is growing restless with QB Matt Schaub. I think the Texans will turn it around but they will have to battle for a wild card spot with the Ravens and Chiefs.
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-4) - Well, let me put it this way they have scored 31 points...ALL YEAR. That is less than the Broncos have scored in each individual game. I'll try to put this kindly, they suck. They are absolutely god awfully terrible. I originally had them winning 3 games, I would like to alter that prediction to 1-15 at the absolute best. Realistically I don't see this team winning a single game all year. Clowney?
1. Denver Broncos (4-0) - The best team in football, by far. Originally had them at 12-4 but I'll up them to 13-3 with the way they have started. Absolutely dominant.
2. Kansas City Chiefs (4-0) - I was one of the few that were bold enough to have this team making the playoffs all along and with the way they have started they will easily take the first wild card spot. I had them at 10-6 and I'll stand by that but they could easily win 11 games this year.
3. San Diego Chargers (2-2) - They have started off fairly well but they are in a very tough division and they will not make the playoffs this year because of it. I originally had them behind the Raiders at 4-12 but I will certainly change that. I think they will go 8-8 this year but as I said miss the playoffs.
4. Oakland Raiders (1-3) - I thought they would be better than this, not much but a little. I figure they will still go 5-11 and finish in last out west.
3. New England
5. Kansas City
The Pats will host Baltimore and I think New England will win easily. The Chiefs will stun the world and beat Cinci to advance in the playoffs, one year after that horrible season. Denver will then dismiss the Chiefs in the divisional round and I have change my prediction for the Colts v. Pats match up to the Pats winning. That sets up Manning v. Brady in the AFC title game. Denver is still my AFC Super Bowl pick.
1. Dallas Cowboys (2-2) - They were and still are my pick to win this division. Especially with how terrible everyone else in this division is. 10-6 still seems fair.
2. Philadelphia Eagles (1-3) - They own the tiebreaker over Washington for now but lets face it, they are awful. Chip Kelly's offense? Does not work in the NFL. 3-13 still seems fair for them.
3. Washington Redskins (1-3) - I now think they are the second best team in this division but there is a huge gap between them and the first place Cowboys. RG3 is not the same and honestly I never thought he would be. I will keep them at 9-7 but move them up to second in the division.
4. New York Giants (0-4) - Oh boy are they awful or what. They have absolutely nothing going for them. They are the NFC's version of the Steelers. I was dead wrong with my pre-season prediction. I have them finishing 6-10 now instead of 10-6 and being in third in the division.
1. Detroit Lions (3-1) - The Lions are a pleasant surprise at the top of the North. I originally had them third at 8-8 but now I have them second at 9-7. Reggie Bush has added another weapon to a high octane offense and they are capitalizing.
2. Chicago Bears (3-1) - The Bears are another pleasant surprise in the North and I think they will win this division at 10-6 now.
3. Green Bay Packers (1-2) - Led by the Ben Roethlisberger of the NFC, they will not make the playoffs this year. Rodgers is overrated and so is the rest of this team. They lack talent at every position but quarterback and as such they do not have what it takes to win this division. 8-8 is my new prediction.
4. Minnesota Vikings (1-3) - I could not have been more wrong about this division, it is basically inverted from my original thoughts. The Vikings are stinking it up and their only weapon is AP who has not lived up to his bold predictions from the preseason. I have them finishing 3-13.
1. New Orleans Saints (4-0) - The Saints are running the show again in the South and their defense is excelling. They have surprised me a little with HOW well they have been able to play. I knew they would be better but I didn't expect this much. They will win this division and finish 12-4.
2. Carolina Panthers (1-2) - Them being in second for now is a bit misleading, they had a bye this week. I think they are pretenders and they will still finish third in the division at best 7-9. More likely though, I think they will finish 6-10.
3. Atlanta Falcons (1-3) - They have had a hellish schedule to start the season and they have lost some close games. I originally had them going far this season but now I have them finishing second in the division at 10-6. They will turn it around but I figured they would be better than they have been.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-4) - Well, I knew they wouldn't be good. I knew Freeman would get ousted and eventually I expect him to be traded. I was dead on with this team and they will continue to be, well, terrible. They will go 3-13 this year.
1. Seattle Seahawks (4-0) - Right where I thought they would be this year, in front of the NFC West. They are hands down the best team in this division and they will continue to be throughout the year. I think 12-4 is a good prediction for them to finish.
2. San Francisco 49ers (2-2) - This team has been vastly overrated and frankly they aren't that good. They will finish 9-7 and second out west.
3. Arizona Cardinals (2-2) - They finally have a QB and they are winning some games as a result. They have play makers on both sides of the ball and they will win more games this year because of it. I have flip flopped them with where I thought the Rams would be and I figure they will wrap up the year at 8-8.
4. St. Louis Rams (1-3) - The biggest disappointment in this division besides maybe the 9ers. I thought they would be better this year but they have not been. I think they will finish 6-10 or 7-9 at best. They simply don't have a running game or a defense.
1. New Orleans Saints
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. Chicago Bears
4. Dallas Cowboys
5. Atlanta Falcons
6. San Francisco 49ers
In the playoffs the Bears will get knocked off by the 49ers and the Boys will down the Falcons. Then the Saints will down the 49ers and the Cowboys will beat the Seahawks. The Saints will then beat Dallas to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
Saints v. Broncos, two high octane offenses will go at it but I think that Manning will get the job done to win his second ring with as many teams. Broncos take it all this year.
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
|(Photo courtesy of: bucsnation.com)|
|(Photo courtesy of: bucsnation.com)|
The Bucs have finally pulled the trigger. Josh Freeman is out and Mike Glennon, the rookie, is in. I don't want to sit here and say that I told you so, but I told you so. In fact here it is word for word from my original QB competition post, "Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I don't think there is a competition here but there should be. Mike Glennon can flat out play the game. He can make all of the throws and frankly I think the Bucs need a change of pace. Freeman simply isn't getting it done and with the rise of the Panthers looming, the Bucs are in danger of becoming the cellar dweller of the NFC south if they stick with the sinking ship that is Josh Freeman." I said this in the preseason so I can not believe it took the Bucs this long to make this change. Never the less, the deed is done and the age of Glennon will now commence. Don't be surprised if the Bucs look to deal Freeman, assuming Glennon doesn't perform worse than Freeman. But lets face it, that is pretty dang hard to do.
Thursday, September 19, 2013
(Photo courtesy of: nflmemes)
Well, the big news out of Cleveland today is that they have traded former #3 overall pick Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts for their first round pick which will surely be between 20 and 32. This trade in terms of this season and possibly in terms of next season is the stupidest trade I have ever seen in my entire life for the Browns. They were already on the fast track to a top 3 pick in this years draft which could easily be used to land them a franchise QB to replace Weeden. Granted they need help just about anywhere but now they need help at running back too. Essentially they will not gain anything from this trade. It just adds another hole that they will need to fill after they finish sand bagging the rest of this season. I mean why else do you trade a top 15 running back the same day that you jump over your backup QB and name your 3rd stringer the starter? Granted the trade when paired with Hoyer at QB does essentially land them the number 1 overall pick in the upcoming draft despite what I am sure will be stiff competition from Jacksonville. Never the less this trade is mind boggling. For the Colts? The Colts haven't had a viable option at tailback since Edgerrin James left back in 2005. Add to that the recent injury to Vick Ballard and they desperately needed a ball carrier. The Colts who are only a couple of players away from a Super Bowl contender just solidified a weak position for years to come. Further more, this years draft class is exceptionally weak at running back once again. This trade was a steal for the Colts. Cleveland fans break out the paper bags because lets face it, no one will let you live it down if they actually see you at a Browns game this year. The only question left to be answered is how will the Jaguars try to keep up with this big move by the Browns? It's not like they really have anything worth anything to trade away to help them lose. Maybe they will just keep things the same?
Sunday, September 8, 2013
|(Photo courtesy of: espn.com)|
|(Photo courtesy of: nydailynews.com)|